September 8, 2010

April 6, 2010

Tuesday...Tuesday was a stressful day. He came through the surgery decent enough. They were not able to place the tracheotomy, but he had a feeding tube and most of his stomach was closed. Also, his kidneys weren't working. It was just too much stress for his body. He became very, very swollen as well. The good thing about placing the feeding tube was that the nutrients in his food would help the liver to reginerate. Remember, his liver was very small and very damaged, but so far it was doing an okay job. I worked this day and Jack was with my family. My parents were still in town. That eveing around 6:30 I left. I went to my sisters for dinner with my mom, dad, sister and Jack. We had fried pork chops, potatoes of some sort and I'm sure much more. As soon as I sat down, filled them in the day and Troys condition, I get a call from his best friend who was at the hospital. It went like this.

Kelly: "Hello"
Keith: "Hey Kel, do you know?"
Kelly: "Do I know what?"
Keith: "He coded."
Kelly: "What...is he back?"
Keith: "Yeah, he's back but they don't know what caused it."

I hung and I was leaving. My family wanted to drive me, but I knew if I didn't drive myself I would feel like I was going much faster. I have no idea how I drove to the hospital without crying. I just knew I had to get there. Its amazing what you do in times of crisis.

I run in the hospital, his coworker was standing outside of the ICU, she took my purse and back I went. I went into his room and there was his mom, a few uncles and his friend Keith. Everyone was crying. I thought he was gone, but I look and in fact his cheset is still moving. They really couldn't tell us why he coded. Ever so slowly his heart rate just dropped and he flatlined. Around 2 minutes later they got him back. They push us all out of the room trying to make an assessment. At 11 p.m., after blood work and many tests they find that he is septic. His kidneys weren't pushing out the bad and the kidneys were having a hard time processing all of this new blood. Also, his blood pressure wasn't staying up now. They said to prepare ourselves. HA! Prepare yourself? How do you even begin to do that. When I came out of his room there were so many people there. My sister and dad, my neighbor, my friends, his friends, his coworkers. Amazing....absolutely amazing.

The plan was to open his stomach up, check for any perforations, try to place a line for dialysis and put him on some pressors. By midnight this was all done. They were scared he wouldn't make it through these few small, bed-side proceduresl, but he did. Our minds were at rest a little, the dialysis was started. I stayed at the hospital until 4:30 a.m. I want to make sure he wouldn't code again before I went home and went to bed. I took off work the next day and just went to the hospital once I got up 4 hours later. Wednesday was a "stable as you can get day." Wednesday he was alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment